Pages

Thursday

Scrappy Chics Kits: May Project #1

This month's Scrappy Chics Kit included the Jillibean Soup Blossom and Webster's Trendsetter Collection along with American Crafts, My Mind's Eye, Maya Road and Tim Holtz yummy goodness! Here are all the Design Team projects I made. I have four, I absolutely LOVED this kit!!!!!

 
{ The Design }
Featuring Jillibean Blossom Soup Collection
My adorable two! He is soooooo sweet with her!

 

 
{ My Inspiration }
The sketch I used is from Sassy Lil' Sketches, I am loving playing with these sketches lately! Since I was working with the kit and the Color Combos Galore Designer's Challenge was a siblings theme, the lovely spring colors of the Jillibean Soup products and Webster's green butterfly paper were the perfect mix for these photos. Because I usually do one photo designs, I was thrilled that the sketch, kit, colors and themed challenge worked together so nicely that I could finally add these photos to my album.

 
The Color Combo:
I used the colors from Color Combo Challenge #190 from Color Combos Galore. This week's theme was to focus on siblings or pets. Though in the end I there was a bit too much pink added to the mix. I try to use kits for these challenges, but when I do that, the colors are a bit off. I can't do that anymore.

 
The Sketch:
Variation #1: I started my design with the area for the scalloped borders on the bottom, I started here because I was also playing the Two Peas Products You Love - Die Cuts Challenge where we had to use die cuts in a new way. Playing around with the Jillibean Soup die cuts, I discovered that the border circles nested perfectly in the scalloped die cut circles. So I cut them in half and spanned the width of the floral border strip. Once I had that down, then I could measure out the size of my photos and other papers. For the large border across the photos, I hand cut the butterflies from the Jillibean patterned paper, then added a pop dot to the first butterfly for dimension.
Variation #2: In the original sketch, the wider patterned paper was sketched behind the photos. I placed it in the background, behind the cardstock. Also notice I did not extend the cardstock above the photos too much for the title. After trying that, I decided to cut the cardstock down instead, leaving a little margin on top and set my title above. I originally left the title alone as "moments", but just when I was about the call the page "done", I added the little K&Co tile letters from my stash.
Variation #3: I added the Jillibean Soup journaling die cut in place of the journaling strips for the ten reasons why I love seeing my son and daughter together like this.
Variation #4: I finished my design doodling a border around the page to ground the whole design and added an embellished corner using the Jillibean Soup cardstock stickers.

Project Supplies:
{ Moments } layout:
From: Scrappy Chics Kits, May 2011 kit
  • Trendsetter paper - Style 105 (Webster's Pages)
  • Blossom Soup paper - Fresh Cilantro (Jillibean Soup)
  • Blossom Soup Cardstock Stickers (Jillibean Soup)
  • Blossom Soup Die Cuts (Jillibean Soup)
  • Rainboots Thickers - Daisy (American Crafts)
From my stash:
  • Cardstock: White (American Crafts); Chowder (Bazzill)
  • Letters: Embossed stickers (Studio K)
  • Border punches: (Martha Stewart)
  • Other: brown, black pen (Sakura); pop dots (American Crafts); linen thread

Links on this post:
{ Scrappy Chics Kits: May Kit }
{ Color Combos Galore: Challenge #190 }
{ Sassy Lil Sketches: Challenge 4/21}
{ Two Peas Products You Love Every Which Way: April - Diecuts }
Share On:

6 comments:

Bente Fagerberg said... [Reply]

This is simpkly delightful Janet.Your children are so lovely and I bet you are thrilled to have these stunning photos of the two of them!
Love the sketch you used. So good to have place for a few photos instead of the one or two....
Love the strip made with the butterflies and the cluster of embellies in the upper right corner!
Smashing work!

Eila Sandberg said... [Reply]

Howdy hi Janet! So happy to see your mojo has returned big time, awesome layouts all of them!! we've missed your happy cheerful comments at CCG, hope things have picked up at home. OMG girl, how on earth you could ever have had cold feet about your creations I simply cannot understand. Your pages are FABULOUS!! Hope you'll have a wonderful weekend, take care. Mwah! :))

Debbi Tehrani said... [Reply]

Beautiful, sweet layout! Love what you ddid with that sketch. Love your doodled border and how you used those butterflies. Simply gorgeous!

Ella Swan said... [Reply]

Great layout Janet! Really like this one - so pretty!! Heard you had some computer woes...so sorry...hope you got it sorted...

sandi said... [Reply]

Love, love, love this! All those pics look sooooooo great with the pp and that title!

greenworld said... [Reply]

OMG, those pics are fantastic!